Saturday, January 3, 2015

#Nerdlution15- Keep calm and read a book (or two!)


Over the last few days of my winter break, I have been lurking on Twitter and reading everyone's #nerdlution15 posts. Last year, joining nerdlution opened up a new professional door for me as I joined more twitter chats, and created an inspiring PLN.

I want to keep my #nerdlution15 simple and attainable this year. My goal over the next 50 days is to read as many books as I can. I don't want to set a specific goal of how many books I will read, but rather a goal of getting lost in as many books as possible. I love when I meet characters in books I connect with and have them linger with me long after I have finished the book. For instance, one book I cannot get out of my mind right now is Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. Each of her books connects with me on a level I never thought possible. Fangirl brought me back to college experiences and feelings I seem to have forgotten: the nervousness of the first day of classes, meeting a new roommate, and the most poignant, dating and falling in love in college. It seemed every page I read, I found myself saying, "No way! I remember that feeling! Oh my god- I have been there." Rainbow Rowell is magical as she develops her characters and their relationships. I found myself reliving so much of my college and even high school years through her writing. That is the epitome of powerful and remarkable writing.

“That moment," she told Cath, "when you realize that a guy's looking at you differently—that you're taking up more space in his field of vision. That moment when you know he can't see past you anymore.” 
― Rainbow RowellFangirl


I am not limiting myself to just one type of genre or age group. My purpose in choosing this goal is not just for enjoyment, but to also use it as an opportunity to explore different styles of writing that I can use for my own personal writing as well as with improving my abilities to coach teachers in writing instruction and writing process in classrooms. Writing, in our school community, is an area we all want to grow in! Lucky for me, I have teamed up with Suzanne Gibbs to write collaboratively together and I am hoping my goal of wide reading will us both grow as writers and readers as we work together. I am very thankful I met her at NCTE14. (And insanely jealous of all those attending NerdampMI this summer!)

So without further ado, here is my list of books for #nerdlution15:

(After each book, my plan is to post my thoughts about the book. I find it incredibly helpful to read the posts about books I have already read or plan to read. I want to pay it forward by doing the same for other avid readers. I find inspiration is never ending on Twitter!)

Introduced to this author at the Scholastic Brunch at NCTE14

I had the honor of presenting with Lynda at NCTE14. Her passion about this book was evident. Anyone who has posted about this book gives it rave reviews for its message and characters. 

Introduced to this author at the Scholastic Brunch at NCTE14. I loved Esperanza Rising and cannot wait to get into this book!

I met Kate Messner at NCTE14. This is a must read! 


Read The Fault in Our Stars and Looking for Alaska- enough said! 


All of her work is amazing. This book keeps popping up on my Goodreads, and Amazon accounts as well as on nerdybookclub posts. I cannot pass it up!

I met Ann M. Martin at NCTE14. She is one of my all time favorite authors and read every single on of her Babysitter Club books! 


I was very fortunate enough of hearing Dan speak at the Scholastic Brunch at NCTE14. His description of the story and the reason he wrote this book has stuck with me ever since. 
My friend Elaine recommended A Snickey of Magic. As her reading buddy, I cannot turn away from her recommendations. 
My fellow presenter, Melissa, raved about this book. I scored a free copy through NCTE14! Cannot wait to talk to her about Absolutely Almost! 


And last but not least, I plan to join #vbcbooks. What could be better than talking about books we have all enjoyed? 
Happy Reading and #nerdlution15 to all! And please don't hesitate to throw any other book titles my way!! Picture books, nonfiction, fantasy- I will read it all! 



5 comments:

  1. Here to talk books anytime, Kara! :) Good luck with your #nerdlution15!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not going to lie....it took me a while to actually sound out nerdlution15! Ha! I finally figured out it was similar to resolution...but nerd-lution! Sheesh! Anyway....love this concept and I think I will jump on board. I can't wait to join some twitter chats!! What is a PLN? I feel like I should know this!

    Katie
    Mind Sparks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to you joining Katie!

      Delete
    2. Pln is professional learning network. Sorry if this is repeat but my app is acting spazzy right now!

      Delete
  3. It's really nice to recall your most important memories, such as traversing the college life. It can be a problematic decision for some, if not for all, since there would be a lot of factors they have to juggle with, especially in this day and age, but if you have the right agencies to help you, then you wouldn't feel astray. Anyway, thanks for sharing that! I wish you all the best!

    Valerie Casey @ College Funding Freedom

    ReplyDelete