Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Slice of Life- Ringing in 2015


Slice of Life is sponsored on Tuesdays by Two Writing Teachers.

It is hard to believe that 15 years ago, I was ringing in the New Year  at Maggie McFly's in Middlebury, CT as a junior at the University of Connecticut. I remember driving to the Danbury Fair Mall, earlier in the day, with my friend Laura to find the perfect outfit to wear that night.  And if memory serves me correctly, I came home with a sparkly purple sweater from Express. It was a night filled with laughs, drinks, dancing and creating memories! 

Now 15 years later, I am at home with my family. We just spent the evening with our family friends and their two boys. We watched our boys fight with light-sabers, build train tracks, wrestle, and scarf down ice cream sundaes. It is a far cry from the crazy night 15 years ago where I may have been trying my hardest to flirt with the boy across the room in hopes of receiving a New Years kiss. Tonight I sit on the couch with my husband, two boys and our dog watching Despicable Me for the 100th time. I wouldn't have it any other way. 

I am looking forward to the year 2015. I have read several other  posts where authors are choosing one little word for the year 2015.  For me that one little word is acceptance. Throughout my life I have always strived for perfection in everything I do. Since becoming a working mom, I have tried harder than ever to keep a sense of control and perfection in my professional and personal life. And in turn, definitely  caused  unneeded stress and anxiety. Over the course of 2014, I took more risks and chances than I ever have.  As a result, I learned to accept the fact I can be messy, I can make mistakes, and not everyone is going to like me or agree with me. It is ok to have disagreements with friends and colleagues just like it is ok to leave the dishes in the sink and laundry piled up. By focusing on the one little word acceptance, I hope to find balance in my life. 

There is so much I want to do in 2015. I want teach my youngest how to swim. I want to continue to watch my oldest son improve his skating and karate skills. I want to plan date nights with my husband, as we sometimes forget to plan time for us. I also want to make time for friends and family that often get lost in the shuffle of everyday life. Lastly, I want to continue to grow my PLN and learn from so many other educators in my school community as well as educators I have connected with on Twitter and conferences. Throughout all I want to do in 2015, I plan to stay grounded in the acceptance I cannot do everything all at once and accept the fact not everything can be done perfectly. I feel like if I focus too much on perfection, life will pass me by and it is already going at a lightening fast speed as I watch my boys grow up. 

Life brings about many twists, turns and changes when you least expect it. The end of 2014 certainly presented me with many forks in the road and depending on which way I chose to go, the bends in the road brought about positive and negatives into my life. I need to accept those changes and move forward into 2015 with a positive and open mind. I hope you will all do the same as well! 

Cheers to 2015- a year of growing, changing, and most importantly, acceptance. 

"Be nice to each other. It is really all the matters." - Dawn Hochsprung

3 comments:

  1. Acceptance-a wonderful word to lead you on to a new path of positivity this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing post!! Great word choice, too! I'm so looking forward to getting to know you better this year!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a wonderful way to be updated and active. People can see what is your activity and what you were doing recently. I think it's one of those new media on Internet.but i was looking this blog water bath manufacturers.

    water bath manufacturers

    ReplyDelete