Monday, February 3, 2014

It's Monday! What are you reading?



These are memes started by Teach Mentor Texts and Book Journey, and I'm
 very excited to participate, along with many other bloggers, in reviewing books
 I read the previous week and books I am currently reading.


It's a snowy day in Connecticut, so I thought today would be a perfect day 
to join in on, "It's Monday! What are you reading!"

Here is what I read this week:

Picture Books



This picture book is astoundingly beautiful with its rich text and gorgeous artwork. Perfect for students of all ages to learn about this great leader! 


I was trying to organize my book case in my classroom when I came across this book. I completely forgot I had it! I think I bought it at a Scholastic Warehouse Sale! Those sales are the best! You Forgot your Skirt Amelia Bloomer, tells the story of Amelia Bloomer, who does not behave the way 19th-century society says a proper lady should. She introduces pantaloons to American women. The illustrations are vibrant! The humorous writing style really grabs the readers attention! Amelia Bloomer would be a great companion to Who Says Women Can't be Doctors.


Middle Grades 
I just finished reading Rump last night. It is a delightful story that intertwined so many different fairy tales. Rumpelstiltskin was one of my favorite tales growing up and it was so neat to have so many "OH YEAH! I remember that from the original fairy tale!" moments. Young readers will love this modern day adaptation! 

Planning to read this week:




And a little professional reading! 

Better Learning Through Structured Teaching: A Framework for the Gradual Release of Responsibility, 2nd Edition... by Douglas Fisher and Nancy Frey 


I love reading with my boys too!

My husband and I are planning a special movie and dinner night with our son, Drew, on Friday night! We cannot wait to take him to the opening night of the Lego Movie! And to make things even better, we are taking him to Barnes and Nobles and Toys R' Us to build Emmett and his car! 

Happy reading this week! 

Kara




3 comments:

  1. Welcome to this meme! It's my favorite one for the week. But it's probably the most dangerous one on the credit card :) Can't wait to see what you're reading each week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started participating in #IMWAYR last month and man have I added a lot of books to my list. I would be curious to know what you think of Locomotive, I know it won the Caldecott, but it really wasn't a favourite of mine. It was neat but not...I'm not sure.
    I did however LOVE The Year of Billy Miller which I didn't know about until I read it for the #virtualbookclub. It was a pleasant surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been hearing a lot of positive things about Rump and so I am definitely intrigued. Will have to find that one soon! Still haven't read the Caldecott Medalist as well: Locomotive. Will look for that one. :) Have a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete