Sunday, December 1, 2013

Ready, Set, Go!

Well, here goes...My first blog!

I have been lurking on Twitter and many of my reading idols blogs for sometime now. I kept wondering, "What's the point? What's the big deal?" And now after attending NCTE and joining in Twitter Chats- I GET IT! A blog creates a community- it connects people.. I have been connected with fellow teachers, readers, writers, and moms and I have learned so much! It has been truly amazing!

As part of my "ripping off the bandaid" and joining the world of blogging and Twitter, I am joining #nerdlution. I am embracing my inner nerd and planning on writing daily, reading The One and Only Ivan in two days, and blogging at least once a week. I am diving head first into #thenerdybookclub community and try to learn as much as I can from fellow readers and writers. ( I wish #thenerdybookclub was around when I was little- I went everywhere with a book. Snuck in from pool parties to read, hid under the covers at night to read, and even read at the dinner table until I was told to put the book away!)

I could talk books all day- and I am thrilled I have finally found the place to do that! Next to being with my family, getting lost in a character's story is one of my favorite things in the world! One of the best feelings in the world, is when you just can't put a book down...it's a guilty pleasure of mine to sneak in a little reading here or there during the oddest times of the day. I always have a book on me.


My hope as a mother and teacher is for my two boys and my students to fall in love with reading. I want them to meet characters that will shape their lives. I want them to be best friends with Jesse in Bridge to Terabithia, or to admire Charlotte Doyle. I want them to love Charlotte and Wilbur, and Anne of Green Gables. They need to know Brian from Hatchet. I grew up with these characters and they were at times, my best friends. I want this for my two sons and my students. You learn lessons from reading. Reading shapes lives!

“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.” 
― John GreenThe Fault in Our Stars


6 comments:

  1. Great first post. And a perfect time to get started!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great first post! I look forward to hearing about your nerdlution journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you enjoy writing blog posts - I know I love writing them to reflect on what I'm doing (or not doing), and it seems to get my thoughts in order better. So glad you've joined in the #nerdlution journey in this fashion! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the world of blogging. You will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great plan! I look forward to watching your blog evolve!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy #nerdlution journey! You're definitely starting off on the right foot! Have a great time! Love reading about your book love!

    ReplyDelete